There is increasing evidence that physical activity reduces the risk of several diseases. At the same time, the number of individuals who are insufficiently physically active is increasing.
Merely talking about increasing physical activity will not yield any health benefits.
The Walk For Thirty (WFT) Challenge:
- Engage in (brisk) walking for at least thirty minutes each day.
- You do not have to walk the full thirty minutes in one go- any session lasting at least ten minutes will do.
- Take care not to over exert yourself- especially if you have an underlying medical condition.
- Start small and slow- particularly if you have not engaged in physical activity for some time.
- The total time spent walking in one 24 hour period should be at least thirty minutes.
- If you have access to a step/distance measuring device- a pedometer, or an app on your phone that measures steps and distance- please use it to record your activity.
- If you don’t, just measure the time you spend walking.
It will be useful to also measure your waist circumference, hip circumference and weight before beginning the challenge. If you notice any change (reduction) in these measurements, feel free to share and encourage others.
Post details of your activity as comments on the eponymous website:
or on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/walkforthirty/
- Level 1: Walk for thirty minutes each day for 1 week (7 days)
- Level 2: Walk for thirty minutes each day for 2 weeks (14 days)
- Level 3: Walk for thirty minutes each day for 3 weeks (21 days)
- Level 4: Walk for thirty minutes each day for 4 weeks (28 days)
- Level 5: Walk for thirty minutes each day for 6 weeks (42 days)
- Level 6: Walk for thirty minutes each day for 8 weeks (56 days)
- Level 7: Walk for thirty minutes each day for 12 weeks (84 days)
- Level 8: Walk for thirty minutes each day for 16 weeks (112 days)
- Level 9: Walk for thirty minutes each day for 20 weeks (140 days)
- Level 10: Walk for thirty minutes each day for 30 weeks (210 days)
The Challenge opens on 1 August 2016, and will remain open thereafter. You can join any time, and start from scratch.
If you get stuck at a level, don’t despair. With determination, you will make it to the next one.
You don’t need any equipment for this challenge, and can perform it inside your home/ room as well!
Can you get to Level 10?